HALSEY SCHOOL SCHEDULE
Free Grab and Go Breakfast is available at each entrance of the building in the morning.
2021-2022 School Year
School Yard opens at 7:15 am at the latest.
Free Hot Breakfast is available beginning at 7:30 am and ending at 8:00 am
Free Grab and Go Breakfast is available beginning at 8:00 am and ending at 10:00 am in the school cafeteria.
A.M. Home Room 8:00-8:15
Period 1 8:19-8:59
Period 2 9:03-9:43
Period 3 9:47-10:28
Period 4 10:32-11:13 (6th Grade Lunch Period)
Period 5 11:17-11:58 (6th & 7th Grade Lunch Period)
Period 6 12:02-12:43 (7th & 8th Grade Lunch Period)
Period 7 12:47-1:27 (8th Grade Lunch Period)
Period 8 1:31-2:11
P.M. Home Room 2:15-2:20
** Homeroom begins promptly at 8:00 A.M.
HALSEY RULES & REGULATIONS
1) Lateness, cutting and truancy are prohibited.
2) Students may not bring in any unauthorized person into the school at any time.
3) All electronic devices must be turned off during the school day. Devices such as HEADPHONES, IPODS, MP3/4, OR ANY HAND HELD GAMING DEVICES, CELL PHONES/ MOBILE DEVICES used in the building will result in confiscation. Parent must pick up device on Friday from grade dean.
4) The school will not be responsible for items confiscated.
5) Hats or headgear (except religious attire) are NOT to be worn in the building.
6) Students must have an official pass to go from one place to another in the building.
7) Students who become ill may not be sent home alone, a Parent/Guardian listed on the Emergency Blue Card must pick them up at school.
8) Students are to leave the school grounds at the end of their school day.
Sunglasses, headbands, visors, ski masks, spiked bracelets, inappropriate words or slogans on clothing, glass bottles, skateboards, bicycles, roller blades, basketballs, soccer balls, bats and other sporting equipment.
The Following Infractions May Result in Suspension
1) Fighting and disrupting the orderly operation of school activities.
2) Engaging in physical assault and/or sexual assault.
3) Engaging in, or causing riotous conditions.
4) Recklessly endangering students and/or staff.
5) Possessing or using a weapon or a laser light/pointer.
6) Engaging in theft of personal or school property.
7) Engaging in cheating or plagiarizing.
8) Ringing a false alarm or engaging in acts of arson.
9) Using intimidation, coercion, force or extortion.
To maintain a positive learning environment, it is expected that JHS 157 students dress in a professional manner. We expect JHS 157 students to be dressed appropriately to ensure safety and to keep the focus on teaching and learning. We would like all parents and guardians to remind students of proper dress protocols followed in our school building.
Prohibited forms of dress at JHS 157 include:
- Hats, caps, or hoods (except for headwear worn for religious observance).
- Clothing that contains references to drugs, alcohol, sex, violence, or racism.
- Revealing clothing that does not provide coverage of torso, undergarments, and private body parts, including see-through garments of any kind.
- Sunglasses while indoors.
- Headphones/Ear Buds (such as AirPods)
If a student comes to school wearing clothing prohibited by the Dress Code, then the student’s parents will be notified. The student may be subject to the interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the Discipline Code, and the student will be expected to make appropriate adjustments to their clothing to conform to the Dress Code (e.g., turning shirt inside out, borrowing temporary clothing from the school until the end of the school day, etc.).
Student Entry Procedures
• Students are to arrive with their own face coverings. If a student does not have a face covering, one will be provided before entering the school building.
• Students must complete the Health Attestation form prior to entering the school building.
Afternoon Dismissal and Pick-up
Students will be dismissed at 2:20pm each day unless otherwise notified.
Parents picking up students should be at their child’s designated exit (same as entrance) and should leave the premises immediately to avoid crowds gathering.
We need your commitment to ensure that your student is here for the full day of instruction regularly. Attendance is one of the measures used to determine grade promotion – the NYC School Chancellor’s regulations require that each student achieves a minimum of 90% attendance every school year. Make it a goal to achieve 100% attendance.
Tardiness disrupts classes already in progress, is disrespectful to the class and negates our efforts (and parent efforts) to teach students the importance of being on time.
Reporting an Absence
Parents whose child is going to be absent should call Halsey JHS 157 that morning: 718-830-4910 and leave their child’s name, class or homeroom #, and a brief reason for the absence. Students who have been absent from school for 3 days or longer due to an illness need to bring a note from a parent or a doctor stating the reason for their absence. If parents know ahead of time that their child must be out of school, they should please send a note stating which days will be missed and the reason for the upcoming absence.
School lunch is free for all students.
If your child brings lunch from home, please be aware that it will not be refrigerated at school, nor can food be reheated. You may want to purchase an insulated lunch bag and reusable food containers to reduce waste. At this time students will receive a mask break. Social distancing must be followed during lunch.
Nut and Other Food Allergies
Several students at our school have food allergies. For these students, food can represent a danger and must be carefully monitored. It is the family’s responsibility to notify the school of a child’s allergies. The family and school team will work together to develop a plan that accommodates the child’s needs throughout the school day.