CALLING ALL PARENTS!
Would you like to be part of the decision-making process at our school? If so, become a parent leader! We are now taking nominations for a parent position on the School Leadership Team (SLT). Nominations will be accepted until 5:00 pm on Friday, October 5, 2018 and elections will be held at the following PTA meeting on Wednesday, October 17, 2018.”
In order to run for the SLT please provide the following information to the PTA. You can send it to the Parent Coordinator – Mike Zevon at MZevon@schools.nyc.gov, email the PTA at HalseyPTA@gmail.com, or print it out and return it to the PTA Mailbox located in the main office.
Child’s Name & Class
Best Contact Phone Number
What is a School Leadership Team?
The School Leadership Team (SLT) is a group of people who develop educational policies for their school. They also make sure there are resources to support those policies.
- Provide ongoing evaluations of a school’s educational programs and their impact on student achievement.
- Play an important role in school-based decision-making
- Help to make school cultures more collaborative.
Who are the SLT members?
There are three members of the school community who must be members of the SLT:
- Parent Association/Parent-Teacher Association President
- United Federation of Teachers Chapter Leader
The other members are elected parents and staff members. The SLT must have an equal number of parents and staff.
What is the role of an SLT?
- An SLT is responsible for developing a school’s Comprehensive Educational Plan (CEP).
- An SLT makes a yearly evaluation of the principal’s record of developing an effective, shared decision-making relationship with the SLT members during the year. This evaluation is given to the community district or high school superintendent.
- The SLT is not responsible for the hiring or firing of school staff. However, according to Chancellor’s Regulation C-30, the SLT must be consulted prior to the appointment of a principal or assistant principal.