Parent Coordinator Weekly Update
Hey Folks. Hope you are having a Halsey-Riffic week. Am I the only one who is extremely happy its Friday?
On behalf of the entire staff at Stephen A. Halsey JHS 157, we would like to say thank you to all our Veterans and their families for their service and sacrifice to this nation.
At 6:30pm in the Auditorium there will be a performance from our Ballroom Dancing Program. All families are welcome to attend!
Immediately following the Ballroom Dancing………
Will be the next PTA meeting will take place on Tuesday, November 14th, 2017 at 7:00 pm.
We will have a special guest speaker this month – Mrs. Ellen Bregstein from Forest Hills High School Assistant Principal Pupil Personnel Services (Guidance) & Programming to discuss the High School Admissions Process.We will also hear about a very special opportunity for our 7th grade students – a trip to Washington, DC! Principal Suraci and Assistant Principal Mr. Dechongkit will be on hand to provide the information.
Please click here to view the entire agenda:
Our PTA stepped up AGAIN and held a fundraiser with Chipotle on Austin Street and they hosted a bake sale at the school on Election Day. They raised over $1700 for the school and our children. We have an amazing and motivated group of parents who are making sure our children have the best experience we can provide. All the money they raise goes back to the school to help with our talent departments, transportation for trips, new air conditioners for the classrooms, fun events and so much more.
Halsey Spirit Wear is still on sale! Make sure to purchase your spirit wear and represent the Bulldogs!
DUE TO THE BALLROOM DANCE PERFORMANCE AND THE PTA MEETING OUR PARENT COORDINATOR WORKSHOP WILL BE RESCHEDULED FOR LATER THIS MONTH. THE DIRECTOR OF THE TEEN OUTREACH HOT SPOTS PROGRAM, MRS. TABITHA GAMONSKI, WILL COME IN AND SPEAK ABOUT ALL THE FREE SERVICES THEY PROVIDE AT QCH.
Parent Teacher Conferences are almost here. November 30th, 2017. We will have TWO sessions:12:30 pm – 3:00 pm
5:00 pm – 7:30 pm
No appointment is needed. Just come during one of the sessions. Everyone should have a copy of their children’s schedule but if you do not just see one of your wonderful Halsey staff members located in the lobby. We will also provide a list of teachers and where you can find them.
Parent-Teacher Conference Checklists
Before the conference
- Ask your child how she feels about school.
- Ask your child if there is anything that he/she wants you to talk about with his/her teacher.
- Tell your child that you and the teacher are meeting to help him/her.
- Make a list of topics that you want to talk about with the teacher.
- Prepare a list of questions such as:
- 1. What are my child’s strongest and weakest attributes in this class?
2. Does my child hand homework in on time?
3. Does my child participate in class?
4. Does my child seem happy at school?
5. What can I do at home to help?
During the conference
- Be on time (or early) for the meeting.
- End the meeting on time. Other parents will have a conference after yours.
- Relax and be yourself.
- Stay calm during the conference.
- Ask the most important questions first.
- If your child receives special services, ask about your child’s progress in those classes.
- Ask for explanations of anything you don’t understand
- Ask your child’s teacher for ways that you can help your child at home.
- Thank the teacher.
After the conference
- Talk about the conference with your child.
- Talk about the positive points, and be direct about problems.
- Tell your child about any plans you and the teacher created.
- Keep in touch with the teacher during the school year.
We are excited to continue our 2017-2018 “Involved Parent = Successful Student” Initiative. Our second parent/student/staff trip will be to One World Observatory located at 285 Fulton St, New York, NY 10006 on Saturday, November 18th, 2017.
We encourage students and their parents to join us in this amazing opportunity to see their Global Welcome Center and see your city of origin appear in real time, learn about the rise of One World Trade Center, as told by those who built it, explore the bedrock upon which the city is built, ride to the top of the Freedom Tower – Climb 102 stories in 47 seconds. This astonishing ride reveals the transformation of New York City from unsettled lands to today’s remarkable forest of skyscrapers. One World Trade Center is also known as the Freedom Tower.
We will be traveling together by school bus to and from the One World Observatory. The bus will leave from Halsey Junior High School at 11:00 am. Parents please arrive no later than 10:45 am.
Please fill out the attached permission slip and return it to the Main Office or to the Parent Coordinator no later than November 15th, 2017.
We hope to see you at this very special event!
The Food Drive at Halsey JHS 157 has begun. We have partnered up with City Harvest and the NY Daily News to collect food for the needy. We are asking for anyone who is capable of donating food to please help lend a hand. The food that City Harvest have determined were needed most are:
Peanut Butter (plastic jars only)
Here is where we are at after one week. Not bad:
| ESCAPE offers the following quit-smoking support, FREE of charge:
Click Below for the Updated November School Calendar
HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!